AJC Urges Pakistan To Ensure Security For Christians
NEW YORK, March 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AJC urged Pakistan to step up efforts to protect the country's Christian minority, and bring to justice those responsible for the grievous assault in Lahore.
"The violence in Pakistan is but another example of how precariously Christians live in some countries," said AJC Executive Director David Harris. Christians make up about 1.6% of Pakistan's population.
The weekend violence came after a Muslim individual reportedly accused a Christian co-worker of making a blasphemous remark about the Prophet Muhammad. Other accusations of blasphemy in recent years have sparked sectarian confrontations, but the riot in Lahore was especially large and violent in intensity.Several thousand Muslims attacked the Joseph Colony, a small Christian neighborhood in Pakistan's second largest city, set fire to more than 150 houses and two churches. Many residents fled for safety. "Whatever the circumstances, the fact that one conversation between two individuals can set off a riot targeting an entire Christian community cries out for urgent action by the Pakistan government," said Harris. "Christians should not live in fear in Pakistan." SOURCE American Jewish Committee
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV