Acquisition Of Hot Topic, Inc. By Sycamore Partners, Inc. May Not Be In The Best Interests Of Hot Topic Shareholders
SAN DIEGO and CITY OF INDUSTRY, Calif., March 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Shareholder rights attorneys at Robbins Arroyo LLP are investigating the acquisition of Hot Topic, Inc. (NASDAQ: HOTT) by Sycamore Partners, Inc. On March 7, 2013, the two companies jointly announced the signing of a definitive merger agreement whereby Sycamore Partners will acquire Hot Topic for $14.00 per share.
Hot Topic Shareholders Might Not Receive Maximum Value for Their Stock
Robbins Arroyo LLP's investigation focuses on whether the board of directors at Hot Topic is undertaking a fair process to obtain maximum value and adequately compensate its shareholders in the merger or whether they are seeking to benefit themselves. The merger consideration is substantially below the $16.40 target price set by an analyst at B. Riley & Company on January 22, 2013.On February 6, 2013, Hot Topic released its fourth quarter and full year 2012 earnings results, reflecting strong increases in net sales over the same periods in 2011. Specifically, Hot Topic reported a net increase in sales for the fourth quarter of 11%, to $233 million, while net sales for the full year increased to $741.8 million. Further, the company maintained its previously announced fiscal 2013 earnings estimate of growth of 30% to 35%, as compared to fiscal 2012. Commenting on these results, Lisa Harper, Chairman and CEO of Hot Topic stated, "we expect many of the company's new merchandising, system and process initiatives will continue to gain traction in 2013, supporting continued comp growth and additional margin expansion in all brands." Given these facts, the firm is examining the board of directors' decision to sell Hot Topic now rather than allow shareholders to continue to participate in the company's continued success and future growth prospects.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV