ARMONK, N.Y., March 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) and the Montpellier District of France signed an agreement to create an urban living laboratory to design new urban services for residents and support the economic development goals of local leaders.
The urban laboratory will initially focus on improving information sharing within the district, improving water management, transportation, emergency management and mobile commerce in Montpellier's EcoCite zone, an area that will serve as a living laboratory where these technologies can be piloted among local agencies, business and residents. Together IBM and the Universities of Montpellier 1 and 2, and IDATE, an institute focused on the digital economy, will collect and analyze data and create an open platform to openly share data.
"People are at the heart of creating smarter cities and the city of tomorrow will be shaped by combining human intelligence, business expertise and urban services," said Jean-Pierre Moure, Montpellier Agglomeration President. "We plan to position Montpellier as a metropolis with a pan-European and international dimension. We must rise to our full potential in partnership with other stakeholders such as IBM, the Montpellier universities and local business."The initial projects underway in the EcoCite Zone include the collection of data and creation of initial tools and applications to:
- Provide collaborative technology to share information among city departments and agencies and deliver new urban services to citizens
- Encourage citizens to use public transit or alternative transportation through the use of mobile-based real-time transportation information
- Build smarter water systems to monitor consumption, prevent the risk of flooding and integrate the management of local water
- Create an emergency operations management center to provide local officials real-time insight for events and help predict possible threats
- Mobile technology to enable citizens to interact with local merchants and public services
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts