Analyst: Drop In Unemployment Good For Automakers
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ A Sterne Agee analyst said Friday that auto sales have been strongly tied to the unemployment rate for years, and that make February's drop in the jobless rate to 7.7 percent good news for automakers.
THE BACKGROUND: According to the government's February jobs report, a burst of hiring last month added 236,000 U.S. jobs and reduced the unemployment rate to 7.7 percent from 7.9 percent in January. The rate is at its lowest level in four years and job growth has averaged more than 200,000 a month since November.
THE OPINION: In a note to investors, Michael Ward said the unemployment rate has been an indicator of vehicle demand for the past 30 years, and the trend continues to hold up now.
He noted that low levels of unemployment were a positive for the auto industry in the late 1990s and into 2007, while higher levels over the past few years have limited vehicle demand growth.THE SHARES: In midday trading, General Motors Co. shares rose 18 cents to $28.06 and Ford Motor Co. shares rose 10 cents to $12.93.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV