Stocks Move Higher Following Strong Job Growth
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ A sharp increase in hiring last month is pushing the stock market higher.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 46 points, 0.3 percent, to 14,375 as of noon Friday. The index surpassed its record close Tuesday and is on track for a sixth straight increase.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose four points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,548. The Nasdaq composite advanced seven points, or 0.2 percent, to 3,239.
The government reported that employers added 236,000 jobs and the unemployment rate fell to 7.7 percent from 7.9 percent in January. That was far better than economists were expecting.Pandora media jumped 20 percent after the Internet radio company issued a strong profit forecast and said its mobile business was improving. Pandora also said its CEO, Joseph Kennedy, would leave.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV