However, at some point the labels must come around to the argument that Internet radio rules; as such, it's obscene to think terrestrial radio, satellite radio and cable pay so little relative to Pandora and Spotify.
Different model. Same model. This scheme. That scheme. It's all one big joke!
Pandora and Spotify play music you would never find on AM/FM radio. That, in and of itself, should trigger a mutiny of indie artists, small-time names and their sympathetic big-name acts against the oppressive music labels. They are not pro-artist. Bottom line. Don't let them fool you into thinking they are with their disingenuous marketing campaigns.
A united Pandora and Spotify . . . a unified front of Internet radio companies -- setting aside whatever meaningless differences they have -- is the way to go to win both the battles in Congress and against the labels. That's how they need to view this thing.We are Internet radio. It would help their cause as well as music listeners and musicians. Now and in the long run. There are ways to structure royalty fees outside of black-and-white arrangements. Do it in tiers so artists who would get hurt by a pay cut are grandfathered into any new deal. Make it universal across platforms. Plus, it would be pretty freaking powerful for the massive local sales force Pandora is building out to be able to sell complementary services like Pandora and Spotify side-by-side. The national ad agencies would love it as well. Something to consider . . . maybe even in the halls and clubs of SXSW in Austin. At day's end, we should not make this whole thing more complicated than it needs to be. Pandora and its Internet radio peers can simplify the debate and ultimately win it. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV