In-flight wireless company Gogo Wireless posted a report to its blog that Apple devices are far and away the most used device on flights. "Apple devices are still reigning above the clouds, following the tablet trend with the iPad being the device of choice," the company wrote on its blog. Apple owns 84% of the device market, with Google's Android being used just 16% during in-flight. That's down from 2011, when Apple owned 96.8% of the market, but it's still head-and-shoulders above Android.
The iPad is the most heavily used Apple device, owning 59% of the Apple market, with the iPhone being used 36% of the time, and the iPod just 5% of the time. Tablets are the most often used device, with 35% of the market. Perhaps not surprisingly, laptops are used 33% of the time, and smartphones are used 32% of the time.The iPhone dominates the smartphone usage as well, with 73% of all smartphones used. Android-based smartphones account for 26% of usage. Making up that last 1% is Microsoft (MSFT) Windows-based devices, and Blackberry (BBRY) devices. The No. 1 activity done while in the air is Web surfing. Following Web surfing is accessing personal email, social media usage, checking sports scores, and of course, shopping. Business travelers have slightly different usages. Their most frequent activities are accessing work email and finalizing reports.
-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV