FORT WORTH, Texas
, March 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines is proud to announce its status as a "Super Sponsor" and the official airline of the 2013 South by Southwest (SXSW) Music, Film and Interactive Festival, which begins today in
. American's sponsorship of the festival highlights its commitment to small business and technology innovation as well as the arts and entertainment.
SXSW Film and Interactive Events
American Airlines will host various events during the Film and Interactive portions of SXSW and offer festival-goers opportunities to relax and experience the new American firsthand.
SXSW Music Events
- From March 8-16, the #newAmerican Lounge will be set up in the Austin Convention Center and is open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The lounge offers a space where attendees can take a break from the action at SXSW, enjoy a massage, charge their mobile devices and explore some of the new products onboard American's aircraft.
- In support of the growth and development of startups, American is hosting 'Office Hours' at the Startup America Lounge on the fourth floor of the Austin Hilton March 8-11 from noon to 6 p.m. The office hours give startups and entrepreneurs an opportunity to meet with company leaders and learn how American is enabling the success of emerging businesses.
- American is also teaming up with AT&T to host the inaugural Travel Hack, a "hackathon" running March 9-10. During the event, the AT&T Location Information Services Hybrid beta API and the American Airlines Travel API will be open to developers for the first time as they compete to create the best mobile app for American Airlines and AT&T customers. Travel Hack winners will be announced on March 10 and receive the following prizes:
- First Place – $10,000 split among team members and 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage ® miles per team member (maximum of five team members)
- Second Place – $3,000 split among team members and 25,000 AAdvantage miles per team member (maximum of five team members)
- Third Place – $1,000 split among team members
During SXSW Music,
, the #newAmerican Oasis will be open on Sixth Street in downtown
noon to 5 p.m.
The Oasis offers visitors a refreshing respite from the commotion and allows them to charge their mobile devices while enjoying complimentary Wi-Fi, massages and fresh juice drinks.
"Partnering with South by Southwest as a Super Sponsor and the official airline of the festival provides a unique opportunity for American to support emerging businesses and the startup community while fostering creativity and innovation in the technology space," said
, American's Vice President – Marketing. "This sponsorship and the activities we're hosting are proof points of American's evolution into a more modern airline and our focus on making customers more comfortable and connected throughout their travels."
American Airlines Giveaways
- From March 8-12, American is giving away a daily grand prize of two passes to the music portion of SXSW and one second place prize of a single pass to the film portion of SXSW. Attendees can enter to win the passes when they follow @AmericanAir on Twitter and tweet using #newAmerican.
- Every day from March 8-17, American will invite its Twitter followers to retweet select posts to enter for a chance to win 25,000 AAdvantage miles.
- From March 8-16, SXSW attendees who check in at American's locations on Foursquare and show their check-in to an airline representative can receive one of American's premium amenity kits or another travel-inspired prize.
In addition to American's activities at SXSW, the airline is reminding customers on all inbound flights to
to visit its locations in the
Convention Center and on Sixth Street. American's Twitter followers can also track their experiences at SXSW using the hashtag #newAmerican. For more information on American's sponsorship and participation in SXSW, visit
About American Airlines
American Airlines focuses on providing an exceptional travel experience across the globe, serving more than 260 airports in more than 50 countries and territories. American's fleet of nearly 900 aircraft fly more than 3,500 daily flights worldwide from hubs in
. American flies to nearly 100 international locations including important markets such as
. With more than 500 new planes scheduled to join the fleet, including continued deliveries of the Boeing 737 family of aircraft and new additions such as the Boeing 777-300ER and the Airbus A320 family of aircraft, American is building toward the youngest and most modern fleet among major U.S. carriers. American's website,
, provides customers with easy access to check and book fares, and personalized news, information and travel offers. American's AAdvantage
program, one of the most popular frequent flyer programs in the world, lets members redeem miles for flights to almost 950 destinations worldwide, as well as flight upgrades, vacation packages, car rentals, hotel stays and other retail products. The airline also offers nearly 40
locations worldwide providing comfort, convenience, and an environment with a full range of services making it easy for customers to stay productive without interruption. American is a founding member of the
alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest airlines in the world, including global brands like British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia Airlines, Japan Airlines, LAN and Qantas. Together, its members serve more than 900 destinations with more than 9,000 daily flights to 150 countries and territories. Connect with American on Twitter
. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AMR Corporation common stock trades under the symbol "AAMRQ" on the OTCQB marketplace, operated by OTC Markets Group.
The South by Southwest
) Conferences & Festivals (
March 8-17, 2013
) offer the unique convergence of original music, independent films, and emerging technologies. Fostering creative and professional growth alike, SXSW
is the premier destination for discovery.
Year after year, the event is a launching pad for new creative content. New media presentations, music showcases and film screenings provide buzz-generating exposure for creators and compelling entertainment for audiences. Conference panel discussions present a forum for learning, business activity thrives at the Trade Shows and global networking opportunities abound. Intellectual and creative intermingling among industry leaders continues to spark new ideas and carve the path for the future of each ever-evolving field, long after the events' conclusion.