Google To Lay Off 1,200 at Motorola: Report
According to an internal e-mail message seen by the Wall Street Journal, the company is planning to cut as many as 1,200 jobs - or more than 10% of its Motorola workforce.
Many of those cuts will reportedly come from overseas operations in India and China, as well as staff reduction here in the United States. These new reductions are similar in number and scope to the earlier round of layoffs Google instituted after acquiring Motorola, last summer.
"Our costs are too high, we're operating in markets where we're not competitive, and we're losing money," is one quote contained in the message sent out earlier in the week. The note goes on to admit, "while we're very optimistic about the new products in our pipeline, we still face challenges."We have not seen any new products from Motorola since the Google acquisition. As for product timing, a normal design/testing/construction cycle of modern-day smartphones, on average, lasts about a year-and-a half before consumers are offered the new devices. We could see new Google-inspired Motorola Android phones by this year's holiday shopping season. Or maybe sooner. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV