TROY, Mich., March 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Thousands of Meritor (NYSE: MTOR) employees around the world will observe International Women's Day today by sponsoring their second annual Global Service Day, an event that supports women and women's issues through volunteer service.
Global Service Day is organized by the company's Women's Business Resource Group and will involve employee volunteers worldwide supporting 22 charities in 10 countries in all four of Meritor's global regions – an increase in employee participation from last year's inaugural event.
"International Women's Day, which has been observed since the early 1900s, has gained considerable global momentum over the past decade," said Barbara Novak, Meritor vice president and corporate secretary, who also serves as the executive sponsor of Meritor's Women Business Resource Group. "We recognized our Global Service Day had a common goal of ensuring that the future for girls is bright, equal, safe and rewarding."
This event reinforces the company's commitment to diversity initiatives and social responsibility in the communities it serves. Meritor facilities choose volunteer activities and charities based on local community needs.Among the activities planned for Global Service Day are:
- Scholarship donations and a celebration with autistic children in Monterrey, Mexico
- Delivery of blessing cards and handmade gifts for breast cancer patients in Xu Zhou, China
- Mentoring programs for young women at Meritor's Troy headquarters
- Donation of recycled paper products in India, which is made into jewelry and sold to provide income for local women
- Hair care, nail care and make-up services, along with feminine hygiene donations, for underprivileged women in Brazil
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV