The CBIZ Small Business Employment Index (SBEI), a barometer for hiring trends for more than 3,500 companies with 300 or fewer employees, increased by .20 percent during February, following a decrease of 2.37 percent in January.
In comparison, ADP’s February jobs survey illustrated that the private sector added 198,000 jobs, considerably exceeding analysts’ estimates of 170,000 jobs, but falling short of January’s tally, which was revised upward to 215,000 added jobs.
“Our SBEI returned to positive territory in February, showing consistency with a gradually improving economy and a slowly improving job market,” says Philip Noftsinger, business unit president for CBIZ Payroll Services.
To view and/or use a graphic illustration that tracks and illustrates the employment index, visit our blog here.¹Additional take-away points from the February data set include:
- At-a-glance: Of the companies surveyed, 23 percent increased staffing while 24 percent decreased employee headcounts and 53 percent maintained their number of employees.
- Small business sector: Trends for the past three years all show a small .2 percent growth in small business employment for this time period, so 2013 is very consistent with data from prior years.
- What to watch: As the economy continues to gain momentum, we will watch to see if jobs become a larger factor in that growth. There are still many uncertainties that may be affecting the decision to invest in labor, such as the sequester and the talk of more tax increases in conjunction with those job losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV