The cuts are expected to take place in the U.S., China and India.
The move is a continuation of the reductions the company announced last summer. Four thousand jobs were cut at Motorola Mobility last August.
The Wall Street Journal published an email that was sent to Motorola staff notifying them of the cuts. The email from management said, "Our costs are too high, we're operating in markets where we're not competitive and we're losing money."Google purchased Motorola for $12.5 billion last year. It was its largest acquisition to date.
Merck (MRK) is trending as the company plans to close its manufacturing facility in Ireland by the end of 2015, a move that will result in the loss of 280 jobs. The company said staff reductions will begin to take place at the end of next year and activities at the facility will wind down in 2014. It plans to transfer the manufacture of products from the Ireland facility to other locations.
Subaru is another popular search. The automaker is recalling about 47,000 vehicles with remote starters that are at risk of starting on their own. Vehicles equipped with a remote engine starter can be started if the driver pushes a button, even if he is not inside. Subaru is concerned that key fobs that become damaged or dropped could wind up starting the vehicle when the button has not been pushed. Subaru said the engine may start and run for up to 15 minutes inadvertently, until the battery in the key fob dies or the vehicle runs out of fuel. This could lead to increased safety risk when the vehicle is parked in an enclosed area where a build-up of carbon monoxide could become dangerous.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV