NH Senate Puts Off State Minimum Wage Debate
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) â¿¿ The Republican-controlled New Hampshire Senate chose not to act Thursday on a bill that would bring back the state minimum wage.
Donna Soucy, D- Manchester, said the decision only puts off the debate as similar legislation is likely to pass the Democratic-controlled House. That would bring the proposal back to the Senate, where it would get a new hearing and potentially a new vote. The state minimum wage was repealed two years ago when Republicans controlled both houses of the legislature.
"New Hampshire has had a minimum wage law since 1949," Soucy said, adding that the state's ability to set its own minimum wage is in keeping with New Hampshire's independent character.
Her bill reinstates the state minimum wage at the same level as the federal minimum wage, which is currently $7.25 per hour. Employees that regularly get $30 or more in tips per month get at least 45 percent of that.Raising the minimum wage should be part of the conversation down the road, she said. But Sen. Majority Leader, Jeb Bradley, R-Wolfeboro, said a federal minimum wage is all that's necessary, adding that states that raise their minimum wage above the federal level are economically less competitive. "There is no question in my view that states with higher minimum wages have higher unemployment," Bradley told reporters Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV