Ahead Of The Bell: US Wholesale Inventories
WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ U.S. wholesalers cut their stockpiles slightly in December while their sales were flat. But economists believe businesses will resume restocking in 2013, a development that would help spur economic growth.
The Commerce Department is scheduled to release a report on January stockpiles held by wholesale businesses at 10 a.m. Eastern Friday. The report will also provide an estimate of January sales by these companies.
In December, wholesalers trimmed their inventories by 0.1 percent while their sales were unchanged.
Sluggish growth in stockpiles was a key reason the economy barely grew in the October-December quarter. The overall economy grew at an annual rate of just 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter.But economists are looking for a significant rebound in business restocking this year and that is a key reason they expect growth in the January-March quarter to accelerate to an annual rate of around 2 percent. In December, farm product stockpiles had dropped sharply, likely reflecting the impact of this summer's drought in the Midwest. Inventories of furniture and automotive goods were also down in December. Less restocking reduces factory production, which slows economic growth. Another factor expected to boost growth this year is an improving trade performance with further gains in exports as the debt crisis in Europe stabilizes and growth in Asia rebounds. However, the government reported Thursday that the U.S. trade deficit rose in January as export sales declines while imports of various goods including oil showed gains. For the entire year, economists are still looking for an improvement in U.S. exports based on their forecasts that the global economy will be strengthening.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV