NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures were pointing to another day of impressive gains on Wall Street Friday, as investors cheered stronger-than-expected February jobs numbers and a fall in the jobless rate.
Futures for the Dow were rising 67 points, or 86.51 points above fair value, at 14,323. Futures for the S&P 500 were up 6.5 points, or 7.79 points above fair value, at 1544.25. Futures for the Nasdaq were ahead by 11 points, 14.51 points above fair value, at 2806.
The Dow booked a third-consecutive all-time closing high on Thursday.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday that nonfarm payrolls increased by 236,000 in February after rising by a downwardly revised 119,000 in January. Expectations were for a rise to 160,000.The unemployment rate edged down to 7.7% in February; economists were expecting the rate to stay at 7.9%. Private nonfarm payrolls rose by 246,000 after increasing by 166,000 jobs in January. Economists were predicting a rise of 167,000. The Census Bureau is forecast to say that wholesale inventories rose 0.2% in January after declining 0.1% in December. The report is due at 10 a.m. Gold for April delivery was rising $2.20 to $1,577.30 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while April crude oil futures were up a penny to $91.57 a barrel. The benchmark 10-year Treasury was falling by 3/32, raising the yield to 2.015%. The dollar was up 0.08%, according to the
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV