By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Nuance Communications (NUAN) is trying to hold some long-term lows, and Thursday the bulls wagered on a bounce.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected unusual activity in the July 19 calls, with buyers paying $1.65 to $1.70. Those premiums quickly inflated to $1.95 as shares began ticking higher, which shows the kind of leverage that can be achieved with options.
Such long calls lock in the purchase price for the stock, so even a small move in the share price can have a big impact on the value of the options.Nuance shares were down slightly when the trades first hit but ended the session up 0.74% to $19.02. The maker of voice-recognition software has lost more than 20% in the last month, with most of that drop following a weak earnings report on Feb. 7. More than 8,300 of those July 19s traded in the session, almost 10 times the strike's open interest before the session began, clearly indicating new activity. Calls outnumbered puts by a bullish 14-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in NUAN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV