March 7, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Aviation Week (
), the largest multimedia information and services provider to the global aviation, aerospace and defense industries, announced the winners of the 56th Annual Laureate Awards tonight at the National Building Museum in
, DC. The black-tie awards gala recognized the year's most remarkable individuals and teams for their extraordinary achievements in operations and technological advancement.
"The achievements we celebrate at the Laureate Awards embody the spirit of exploration, innovation, and vision that inspire others to strive for significant, broad-reaching progress in aviation, aerospace and defense," said Aviation Week & Space Technology Editor-in-Chief
Joseph C. Anselmo
. "We are proud to recognize and celebrate the winners' accomplishments, as well as the accomplishments of all the other Laureate award finalists from which they were chosen."
The 10 category winners include:
- Philip J. Klass Award for Lifetime Achievement: C. Don Bateman, Chief Engineer, Corporate Fellow, Flight Safety Systems, Honeywell
- Aviation Week Heroism Award: United States Coast Guard
- Aeronautics/Propulsion: Speed Agile-Powered Lift System Concept demonstration team
- Business/General Aviation: Walter Fricke, AirBoss, Veterans Airlift Command
- Commercial Air Transport: Richard Anderson, Chairman & CEO, Delta Air Lines
- Defense: K-Max Cargo Unmanned Aircraft Systems team
- IT/Electronics: The Newark Liberty International Airport Ground-Based Augmentation System Team
- Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO): Alan Butterfield, Vice President, Maintenance & Engineering, Air Canada
- Space: Curiosity Entry, Descent & Landing Team
- Workforce: Marion Blakey, President and CEO, and Susan Lavrakas, Director, Workforce, Aerospace Industries Association
Four military academy cadets were also named Tomorrow's Leaders, sponsored by BAE Systems. The awards honor young men and women who have chosen career paths in the armed forces. This year's honorees include:
- Zachary Howard Adams, Cadet First Class, United States Air Force Academy
- Matthew George Gallup, Cadet Lieutenant, United States Military Academy
- Erik William Oredson, Cadet First Class, United States Coast Guard Academy
- Benjamin Lee Putbrese, Midshipman First Class, United States Naval Academy
Produced by Aviation Week, the Laureate Awards were conceived more than 50 years ago. The formal dinner and awards ceremony is one of the industry's premier events, attracting hundreds of industry pioneers and thought leaders from around the world. Event sponsors include Platinum Sponsor BAE Systems and Diamond Sponsor Boeing.