LOS ANGELES, March 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- City National Bank today announced that it has awarded 110 Reading is The way up ® literacy grants totaling more than $96,000 to support literacy-based projects at elementary, middle and high schools in California, Nevada, New York and Georgia.
(See attached list of all grant recipients or visit www.readingisthewayup.org/literacy.php .)
Reading is The way up is the award-winning literacy initiative through which City National has donated more than 170,000 books to elementary school libraries in California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia, and awarded nearly 750 teacher grants to enhance literacy totaling over $600,000 since the program's inception in 2002.The grants ranging from $500 to $1,500 will help augment or expand literacy projects that were judged to be creative and engaging, and that would have a tangible effect on student achievement. The winning programs are expected to directly improve literacy to more than 15,000 students in 108 schools throughout California, Nevada, New York and Georgia. The educators receiving literacy grants were selected from among the many full-time teachers, librarians, administrators and school media specialists who submitted an online application. The one-page application was available to educators in every school district throughout the bank's footprint in California, Nevada, New York and Georgia. "We wanted to do something special for our 2012-2013 literacy grant program since it marked the 10 th anniversary of our literacy program and we believe we achieved our goal," said Carolyn Rodriguez, vice president and manager of Reading is The way up for City National. "This year's program awarded a record number of grants to the most educators and schools in the history of the program, which ultimately improves the educational experience for both educators and students." About Reading is The way up® Seeking to better the education of our future leaders, City National in April 2002 launched a multi-faceted initiative to restock the state's school library system. Since then, the award-winning program has:
- Donated more than 170,000 books to California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia school libraries.
- Awarded over $600,000 to teachers at elementary, middle and high schools for creative literacy projects.
- Supports strategic partnerships such as the Children's Defense Fund-Los Angeles Urban Lights Freedom Schools program; Jump Start Early Education; Public Foundation Education.
- Received the 2005 President's Volunteer Service Award, the 2005 Corporate Philanthropy Award from the Los Angeles Public Library, the 2006 Corporate Award from the Getty House Foundation, the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership Corporate Citizen Award, and honored as the 2007 Corporate Visionary Partner by the Wonder of Reading.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts