Oprah Winfrey - FORGOTTENOprah not remembered? No way! How could legend-in-her-own-time Oprah Winfrey -- great humanitarian, picker of presidents and mega-, single-name star -- not go down in the history books?
Well, to start, when was the last time you watched a rerun of the "Jack Paar Show?" Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong may have made headlines last month, but no one will care in the years ahead; her content is consumed and forgotten, as it's created.
Moreover, Oprah's "OWN" network is a flop; continuing to flog it will drain both her reputation and her not unlimited fortune. And Oprah's philanthropic efforts, while praiseworthy, are not destined for the ages. Any run-of-the-mill billionaire can start a school for 152 under-privileged girls; Laura Rockefeller funded much-larger Spelman College in 1882.
Lastly, Oprah's success as an independent African-American businesswoman is not unprecedented. Madam C.J. Walker was a millionaire entrepreneur long before Oprah was born. Perhaps Oprah should produce a movie about Walker's life; her OWN studios are underutilized and at the ready.But Oprah is a young 59. She has plenty of tricks to pull from her sometimes-fat-sometimes-thin sleeves: Goodwill Ambassador Winfrey; Tennessee State University President Winfrey; UN Secretary-General Winfrey; POTUS Winfrey . . . lasting fame is still within her grasp. Follow @AndrewKosztyo This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV