Warren Buffet: FORGOTTENWarren Buffet is a nice man who read chapters 8 and 20 of Ben Graham's Intelligent Investor (1949) and used the learnings to make $37 billion. He also writes nice letters to to shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) (BRK.B) and presents himself nicely to the media. He lives in a nice house in the nice city of Omaha, Neb. Nice, yes -- memorable, no.
Investors, even legendary investors like Buffet, have a hard time achieving immortality. They don't start iconic companies that put snacks on your table, computers on your desk or cars in your garage. Instead Buffet invests in these firms, and -- yawn -- insurance companies and banks, sometimes via obscure offerings that will be hard to discern for a future fifth grader writing her "My Hero in History" essay. In short, Buffet's success in staying out of the limelight has determined that he'll also stay out of the history books.
Of course Buffet could alter this verdict with a five-minute phone call. Instead of bequeathing his fortune to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with no strings attached, he could insist on a name-change; or he could start his own charitable trust. But one gets the sense that Buffet is happy to maintain his low profile into eternity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV