Wheat Prices Advance On Jump In US Export Sales
By The Associated Press
Wheat prices rose Thursday after weekly U.S. exports of the grain rose sharply.
The actively traded May contract rose 11.75 cents to $6.955 a bushel.
Mike Zuzolo, president of Global Commodity Analytics and Consulting, said the gain was driven by a jump in weekly U.S. export sales. The increase of 40 percent over the four-week average caught investors by surprise and brought buyers to the market, Zuzolo said.Other agricultural commodities also rose, but not as much. Corn for May delivery rose 2.75 cents to $6.9125 a bushel and May soybeans rose 7.5 cents to $14.735 a bushel. In metals trading, palladium and platinum rose while other contracts were mixed. Palladium for June delivery gained $19 to $759.05 an ounce. Platinum for April delivery rose $15.30 to $1,595.10 an ounce. April gold edged up 20 cents to $1,575.10, May silver inched up half a cent to $28.8080 an ounce. Copper for May delivery rose 2.75 cents to $3.5205. Crude oil rose the most in two weeks, jumping $1.13 to finish at $91.56 a barrel. In other energy futures trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, wholesale gasoline slipped 0.14 cent to $3.1233 a gallon, heating oil rose 0.39 cent to $2.9795 a gallon and natural gas rose 11.2 cents to $3.5820 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV