Selected Fiscal 2013 Second Quarter Financial Metrics and Other Items
- Backlog as of January 31, 2013 was $126.4 million compared to $133.3 million as of October 31, 2012.
- Total bookings for the three and six months ended January 31, 2013 were $67.7 million and $138.0 million, respectively, compared to $98.4 million and $193.8 million for the three and six months ended January 31, 2012, respectively.
- The Company’s second quarter results for fiscal 2013 include a pre-tax benefit of $0.9 million related to a change in fair value of the earn-out liability associated with the Company’s acquisition of Stampede Technologies, Inc. and also includes a reversal of previously accrued costs of $0.2 million associated with its restructuring plan to wind-down the microsatellite product line of the Company’s mobile data communications segment.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $10.1 million and $28.6 million for the three and six months ended January 31, 2013, respectively, as compared to $15.7 million and $39.2 million for the three and six months ended January 31, 2012. Adjusted EBITDA is a Non-GAAP financial measure and is defined in the below table.
- The Company’s effective income tax rate for the three months ended January 31, 2013 was 44.1%, which reflects a net discrete tax expense of approximately $0.4 million, of which $0.7 million relates to the establishment of a valuation allowance on certain deferred tax assets of one of its foreign subsidiaries, offset, in part, by a $0.3 million discrete tax benefit related to the passage of legislation that included the retroactive extension of the federal research and experimentation credit from December 31, 2011 to December 31, 2013. The Company’s effective income tax rate for the twelve months ending July 31, 2013 is expected to approximate 35.5%, excluding discrete tax adjustments.
- During the three months ended January 31, 2013, the Company paid $9.6 million of cash dividends to its stockholders and repurchased 397,798 shares of its common stock at an aggregate cost of approximately $10.5 million (including transaction costs).
- At January 31, 2013, the Company had $352.9 million of cash and cash equivalents which does not reflect the subsequent repurchase of an additional 214,194 shares of the Company’s common stock for an aggregate cost of approximately $5.7 million (including transaction costs) from February 1, 2013 through March 6, 2013. Since establishing the Company’s first repurchase program on September 23, 2010, the Company has repurchased a total of 11,965,114 shares of common stock for approximately $355.2 million (including transaction costs). The Company can make additional repurchases of up to $45.1 million pursuant to its existing $50.0 million repurchase program.
- Additional information about the Company’s updated fiscal 2013 guidance is contained in the Company’s second quarter investor presentation which is located on the Company’s website at www.comtechtel.com.
The Company has scheduled an investor conference call for 8:30 AM (ET) on Friday, March 8, 2013. Investors and the public are invited to access a live webcast of the conference call from the investor relations section of the Comtech web site at www.comtechtel.com. Alternatively, investors can access the conference call by dialing (866) 952-1906 (domestic), or (785) 424-1825 (international) and using the conference I.D. of “Comtech.” A replay of the conference call will be available for seven days by dialing (800) 283-8520 or (402) 220-0870. In addition, an updated investor presentation, including earnings guidance, is available on the Company’s web site.
About ComtechComtech Telecommunications Corp. designs, develops, produces and markets innovative products, systems and services for advanced communications solutions. The Company believes many of its solutions play a vital role in providing or enhancing communication capabilities when terrestrial communications infrastructure is unavailable, inefficient or too expensive. The Company conducts business through three complementary segments: telecommunications transmission, RF microwave amplifiers and mobile data communications. The Company sells products to a diverse customer base in the global commercial and government communications markets. The Company believes it is a market leader in the market segments that it serves.