Stocks Gain For Fifth Day On Unemployment Report
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Stocks are closing higher on Wall Street for a fifth straight day, pushing the Dow further into record territory.
The Dow Jones industrial average, which surpassed its previous all-time high two days ago, closed up 33 points at 14,329.
The Standard & Poor's 500 rose nearly three points to 1,544. The S&P is now about 20 points away from its own record high close.
The Nasdaq rose nine points to 3,232. The Dow and S&P gained 0.2 percent, the Nasdaq 0.3 percent.The catalyst for the advance was the latest evidence that hiring is picking up: a decline in unemployment applications. Kroger rose 3 percent after reporting strong earnings. Three stocks rose for every two that fell on the New York Stock Exchange. Volume was average at 3.5 billion shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV