As one of the biggest credit card issuers, COF is able to translate its deposits into high-rate loans. With interest rates still sitting atop historic lows, the spreads that this firm is able to earn right now are impressive. That's why 70% of COF's profits come from the consumer lending business right now. Capital One has spent considerable resources on advertising, and as a result, it's established its brand as one of the most well-known lenders in the country. The firm's unique card offerings should keep consumers opening new cards, especially as Americans shake off their post-recession aversion to using credit.
While Capital One has been in growth mode for the last few years, it's now entering the phase where it can start to focus on turning its pricey acquisitions into returns for shareholders. Right now, Capital One pays out a 5-cent dividend, but with a strong balance sheet and net margins in the double-digits, this stock should be able to afford a dividend hike for shareholders in the near-term.
To see these dividend plays in action, check out the at Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr.
And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV