This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro on March 7.
NEW YORK (Real Money) -- For the bears, Germany's factory orders stumbled unexpectedly in January, dropping by -1.9% against expectations for a gain of +0.6%. Here is some more negative data on Europe from Zero Hedge.
And Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser said that the benefits of quantitative easing are "meager" and outweighed by the potential costs of such aggressive policy easing.
For the bulls, the administration and the Republicans are apparently talking nice to each other, and corporate and cash hoards are strengthening as the pace of secondary activity is quickening.
I am usually reluctant to make short-term market forecasts because they are typically no better than a coin toss.
But occasionally and briefly, I lose my sanity and deliver a ludicrous forecast.
And I will today.
Based on what I see, my ludicrous forecast is that Mr. Market will drop -- let's call it -0.5% to -1.0% -- today.
I have increased my short exposure on a scale this morning.
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics
while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a
reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a
comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and
strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV