GE Aviation, Hamble has achieved a major program milestone with the delivery of its initial production wing fixed trailing edge components for the first A350 XWB to fly – ‘MSN001’. The first A350 XWB-MSN001 is now structurally complete and is currently undergoing ground testing in Toulouse.
The A350 XWB wing fixed trailing edge package is the largest production contract awarded in GE Aviation Hamble’s 75-year history, comprising more than 3,000 components that include structural composite panels and complex machined assemblies. The A350 XWB has a total wingspan of more than 64 meters.
“This delivery start up results from major achievements at GE Aviation in design and manufacturing – bringing together new tool sets, materials and technologies, while also involving concurrent engineering with global suppliers to obtain material and long-lead items in unprecedented timescales,” said Steve Walters, executive product leader for GE Aviation’s aerostructures and nacelle activities. “We have proved our capabilities and have created a secure foundation to build on for the future.”
GE Aviation will provide the wing fixed trailing edge for all three A350 XWB family members: the A350-800, -900 and -1000.The company began its work on the wing components in October 2008, progressing from a very basic conceptual design while enhancing its management to address the project’s magnitude. In addition to increasing the scope of GE Aviation’s own technical capabilities, the company involved a global design team that included GE Aviation resources in Poland and India. “During the program, GE Aviation, as risk-sharing partner, developed a close working relationship with Airbus, as the aircraft manufacturer providing advice, assistance and support that enabled us to meet this major delivery milestone,” Walters added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV