NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What do Certs, the breath mint, and tablets have in common? More than you think.
Certs was promoted as both "a breath mint and a candy mint with the tag line "It's two... two... two mints in one".
Asus has announced the computer equivalent of Certs mints, unveiling the Transformer AiO. It's a desktop computer that runs Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows 8 - and a large tablet which runs Google's (GOOG) Android OS.
It's two... two... two computers in one!The AiO, which stands for All in One, is two different computers built into one device. The desktop configuration runs Windows 8 on a third-generation Intel (INTC) Core processor, from 4 GB to 8 GB of RAM and as much as 2 TB of storage when it's running the 64-bit version of Windows 8. However, when you take the gigantic, 18.4-inch (1920 by 1080 pixels) LED touchscreen out from its desktop dock/stand, the AiO turns into an Android tablet. It runs Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS on a quad-core, NVIDIA (NVDA) Tegra 3 processor, with its own 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of onboard storage. At first glance, the Transformer AiO poses more questions than it answers. Among those that immediately come to mind: A 5.3-pound tablet with an 18.4-inch screen? Really? Why would AiO run Windows 8 and Android, and not Windows 8 and Windows RT? Why even have a second operating system at all? I'm sure we'll get some real-life answers to these burning questions - and many others - in the near future. Asus is promising its heir Transformer AiO will become available in North America as soon as the second quarter of 2013. The device will sport a price tag of $1,299. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV