AUA Praises Representative For Introducing Critical Legislation To Address Urotrauma, A Major Concern Among Active Military Personnel And Veterans
LINTHICUM, Md., March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, the American Urological Association (AUA), a leading advocate for the specialty of urology, is pleased to announce its support for newly introduced legislation designed to address urotrauma, a growing concern among active military personnel and veterans. The bill, H.R. 984, was formally introduced by Congressman Brett Guthrie (R-KY-2) on March 6, 2013.
Urotrauma is a significant issue, particularly among active military populations. Improvised explosive devices (IEDs), when detonated, can cause severe trauma to the sexual organs and genitourinary system. These debilitating injuries can have devastating impacts – not only to urinary and sexual function, but also on fertility. Since legislation on urotrauma was first introduced in 2009, the AUA has worked with lawmakers to increase awareness of these injuries. In 2012, the AUA led the formation of an Urotrauma Policy Roundtable, comprised of veterans and patient advocacy groups, to support legislation addressing urotrauma.
"We applaud Rep. Guthrie for his commitment to supporting this issue for our veterans by introducing this legislation," said AUA spokesman Mark T. Edney, MD, an urologist and veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. "He is a long-standing champion to raise awareness, research and education around urotraumatic injuries and we look forward to working with him to advance this issue on Capitol Hill."
H.R. 984 would establish an interagency task force, led by the U.S. Department of Defense, to investigate and advise on the research and action needed to advance this increasingly essential field. The urotrauma legislation includes the following key provisions:
- Creation of "The Task Force on Urotrauma," which will conduct a comprehensive study of the present state of knowledge and research on urotrauma, evaluate existing education and research resources, and identify knowledge and programmatic gaps.
- A long-range plan, based on the Commission's comprehensive study, for the use and organization of national resources to effectively deal with urotrauma, including: 1) researching innovations in the care and treatment of persons affected by urotrauma, 2) identifying ways to prevent or minimize these types of injuries, and 3) improving education and training to medical personnel caring for these individuals and to the general public.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV