The networking specialist reported revenue of $453.1 million and earnings, excluding items, of 12 cents a share. Analysts were looking for sales of $448.3 million and a loss of 13 cents a share.
Ciena shares rose 14.99% to $17.18 in premarket trading. The Hanover, Md.- based firm was also the most active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 1,135,398.
Dell (DELL) was a more modest gainer, rising 0.14% to $14.34 on share volume of 509,100. On Thursday, activist investor Carl Icahn said in a letter to Dell's board that he will propose a debt-financed $9 a share dividend over the company's proposed $24.4 billion takeover from founder Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners.BlackBerry (BBRY) shares rose 1.27% to $13.52. Vodafone (VOD) shares dipped 0.65% to $26.83 while chip design specialist ARM Holdings (ARMH) slipped 1.13% to $42.95. Apple (AAPL) was off 0.11% at $425.11. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV