BATON ROUGE, La., March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Albemarle Corporation (NYSE: ALB), a global leader in the development, manufacture and marketing of bromine, bromine derivatives and other specialty chemicals, announced today that Jordan Bromine Company (JBC), its joint venture located on the Dead Sea in Safi, Jordan, successfully commissioned the first phase of its previously announced expansion project. This phase of the project doubles the site's bromine production capacity.
"This investment further strengthens JBC's position as the world's low-cost bromine producer and allows us to continue providing our customers around the world with quality products that drive value in their processes," commented Luke Kissam, Albemarle CEO. "I congratulate the joint JBC and Albemarle team on the safe and successful start-up. The ingenuity of our teams working on the project allowed us to implement technology that doubles our bromine capacity while only increasing our water consumption by 8%, with further decreases planned. This startup is proof of our commitment to safe and sustainable operations."
The second phase of the expansion will double the current capacity of key bromine derivatives, hydrobromic acid, calcium bromide, and sodium bromide, and is scheduled for commissioning in May 2013.Jordan Bromine Company is a joint venture between Arab Potash Company and Albemarle Holding Company, Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Albemarle Corporation. "We are pleased with the progress on this significant capital expansion. It further demonstrates JBC's operational capabilities and the commitment of Arab Potash Company and Albemarle to JBC maintaining its position as a leader in the global bromine market," said Jamal Al Sarayrah, Chairman of Arab Potash Company's board of directors. The partners commenced construction of the existing facilities in 2001, and operations began in early 2003.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV