LAS VEGAS, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- HELI-EXPO -- Honeywell ( NYSE:HON) previously announced that the HTS900 turboshaft engine was chosen by Eagle Copters Ltd. for its re-engine program for the Bell 407, named the Eagle 407HP. The concept of this engine conversion program originated in 2009 and now, after the successful conclusion of integration and ground testing, the Eagle 407HP is in the final steps toward Transport Canada and Federal Aviation Administration certification.
The Bell 407 helicopter is considered to be one of the most versatile helicopters in operation today, and operators are searching for better performance and reduced maintenance costs. Eagle Copters is replacing the incumbent turbine engine with the HTS900 turbine engine to improve the 407's performance at high altitudes and hot ambient temperatures (high/hot capabilities), reduce fuel consumption by 8 to10 percent over the incumbent engine, and lower direct engine maintenance costs due to longer lasting components and lower replacement costs when spares are required.The Honeywell HTS900 engine incorporates numerous next-generation technologies and produces an excess of 1,000 shaft horsepower at takeoff. This significant increase in shaft horsepower improves the payload capability of the helicopter by an estimated 30 percent at 12,000 feet, resulting in increased helicopter capability over a wider operating spectrum. The EAGLE 407HP will be on display in Eagle Copters' display booth No. C5922 during the Heli-Expo 2013 trade show in Las Vegas. Supporting Quotes
- Brian Sill, Vice President, Defense and Space Americas Aftermarket, Honeywell "The HTS900 engine is a proven powerplant that delivers more power and lower fuel consumption compared to any other engine in its class. By installing the HTS900 in the Bell 407, Eagle Copters will now provide a platform that gives customers the best option possible for power and efficiency."
- David Shepherd, Chief Design Engineer, Eagle Copters Ltd. "Eagle Copters' mission is to provide value to our customers, and we have taken the opportunity to retrofit the existing Bell 407 helicopter with this higher horsepower engine. The net result of this endeavor will be enhanced engine performance, an increased payload and increased high/hot performance."
- Read more about Eagle Copters
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell's Corporate RSS feed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV