NEW YORK, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- JANA Partners today filed and mailed its proxy circular to Agrium Inc. ("Agrium") (TSX / NYSE: AGU) shareholders naming the directors it plans to replace at the Annual General Meeting on April 9, 2013 with its highly-qualified independent nominees. The JANA nominees will constitute a minority of the board and are prepared to work constructively to help unlock substantial unrealized value for shareholders. A letter accompanying today's mailing from JANA Managing Partner and nominee Barry Rosenstein follows.
JANA PARTNERS URGES FELLOW SHAREHOLDERS TO VOTE THE BLUE PROXY CARD OR VIF FOR ITS EXPERIENCED AND INDEPENDENT BOARD NOMINEES Further Information Available at www.JANAAguAnalysis.com
Letter from JANA Partners
Dear Fellow Agrium Shareholders:We have invested more than $1 billion in Agrium, making it our largest investment and us the largest shareholder, because it has the opportunity to unlock substantial unrealized value for all shareholders. Instead of embracing this opportunity, the board has hidden behind stock performance attributable to broad industry tailwinds, as well as baseless attacks and distortions, including just this week quietly and falsely enhancing the qualifications of its board. Agrium would like you to believe that we have invested over $1 billion in its stock to purposely destroy the value of our own investment. Does that make sense to you? We have proposed 5 new independent directors who are all highly qualified to help address the underperformance more fully outlined below. Agrium has called our board slate a "Trojan Horse" even though these nominees would be a minority of the board and could only accomplish change through building consensus. Why is Agrium's board so afraid of a minority of independent board members with relevant experience who can ask the tough questions?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV