NEW YORK , March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Credit Suisse is pleased to announce the results of its annual Global Hedge Fund Investor Survey, in which we analyze responses from close to 550 institutional investors, representing $1.03 trillion of hedge fund investments, on a number of topics. These include investors' current views on the growth and return prospects for the hedge fund industry; their preference and allocations plans across various strategies and regions and their views on key new trends and developments in the industry. This year's survey also explored in closer detail preferences and investing trends amongst pensions and other institutional investors.
The title of this year's survey, "Reaching New Heights", reflects optimism expressed by institutional investors towards the prospects for industry performance and growth during 2013. Robert Leonard, Managing Director and Global Head of Capital Services at Credit Suisse commented: "Institutional investors are clearly expressing more confidence in risk assets in this year's survey and appear less worried about left tail risk events or macroeconomic uncertainty. Given the backdrop of effective central bank policies, lower political uncertainty and positive performance last year, it is not surprising to see increased expectations for 2013."When respondents were asked to forecast total industry assets at the end of 2013, the average prediction was US$2.42 trillion. This would represent an industry growth rate of over 10% or $220B, comprising of positive performance and new capital inflows. If correct, this would represent an all-time high for hedge fund industry assets under management by the end of this year. Respondents shared their insights into which hedge fund strategies they anticipate allocating capital to during 2013:
- Long/Short Equity was identified as being the most sought after strategy in 2013
- Emerging Markets Equity was the second most favored strategy
- Event-Driven strategies moved up to 3 rd place from 10 th place last year
- Return expectations among institutional investors for hedge funds increased to 6.9% from returns expectations from a forecast of 5.4% last year. This appears to coincide with the ongoing reduction in correlations and the belief that this will create an environment for stock-picking strategies to outperform.
- Respondents ranked crowded trades/herd behavior, additional regulatory changes and underperformance risk as the three greatest sources of risks facing the hedge fund industry this year. Sovereign default risk and credit/counterparty risk, which were both in the top three last year, dropped significantly.
- Investors continue to show strong appetite for those new hedge funds launches deemed to be of institutional quality. However, in a new development, the survey results showed a large uptick in the number of investors who would require some level of reduced fees, including founder's share classes.
- A new section in this year's survey covered trends and developments in the pension space. The results indicated that public pension funds were the most active in this segment and expect to increase their allocations going forward. Further, our findings identified risk-adjusted and uncorrelated returns as the primary investment objectives of the pension community, and also highlighted the continued significance of consultants.
- Investors regard further hedge fund consolidations/liquidations this year to be a potentially significant development. They also expect to see additional fee compression this year, as well as the growth of alternate structures such as 40 Act Funds and long-only vehicles from hedge fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV