DALLAS, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Peeler Elementary School students learned that reading, fitness and saving money are key to their success during visit from BBVA Compass and the NBA Development League on March 6. NBA legends and 20 bank volunteers read to students and taught the benefits of financial education and active lifestyles as part of Team. Works. In Schools, a joint initiative by BBVA Compass and NBA Cares.
BBVA Compass' Dallas City President Key Coker and NBA legend Felipe Lopez tipped off the program. The two were accompanied by NBA legend and Dallas Mavericks Director of Basketball Development Rolando Blackman and NBA legends Bob Lanier and Sam Perkins.
"Our ultimate goal is to develop a generation of consumers who make better decisions about their health and finances," said Coker. "We were excited to come together with the NBA and its affiliated leagues to promote a common goal – to improve the communities where we are based."NBA participants and BBVA Compass volunteers began the day by reading to kindergarten through second grade students and providing a book to each for their personal libraries. Students then received financial education via the BBVA Compass Financial Scholars and Teach Children to Save Programs. Each program offered age-specific instruction to students, helping them to cultivate good financial habits. Younger children learned about saving through storytelling while older students participated in the Financial Knowledge Bowl, a question-and-answer trivia session. BBVA Compass and EverFi volunteers also administered EverFi's web-based VAULT™ program to fifth graders. The interactive curriculum uses gaming and simulations to help students begin building a foundation for sound financial decision-making. Students rounded out the day participating in fitness and basketball activities at the NBA D-League FIT clinic, a wellness program designed to promote healthy, active living.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV