On Wednesday, Dell defended the proposed take-private deal and outlined why it thinks the bidding process has so-far served shareholder interests.
A special committee of independent directors set up to weigh the company's options defended its decision in a statement released early on Wednesday.
"The Special Committee unanimously determined that the sale of the Company would be the best alternative for stockholders," it said. "We negotiated aggressively to ensure that stockholders received the best possible value and agreed to a $13.65 per share transaction that provides value certainty at a 37% premium above the average price for the 90 days before rumors regarding the transaction surfaced."
Boutique investment bank Evercore Partners is currently helping the company with a 'go-shop,' in pursuit of a higher-priced bid.Bloomberg reports that Blackstone and HP are both studying Dell's books as part of the Evercore-led process. In agreeing to the $13.65 a share offer, Dell said it considered alternatives including continuing with, or modifying, the company's existing business plan, conducting a leveraged recapitalization, changing the company's dividend policy, and potentially selling all or parts of the business. Still, Dell's board moved forward with the proposed $13.65 a share bid because it was deemed to be the company's best option. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV