ROME, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
News S ummary:
- EMC will support the Vatican Apostolic Library in digitizing its catalogue of 80,000 historic manuscripts and 8,900 incunabula as part of EMC's Information Heritage Initiative.
- The project will completely digitize the library, resulting in 40 million pages preserved in digital reproductions.
- The first phase of the nine-year project will provision 2.8 petabytes of storage, utilizing a range of industry-leading solutions from EMC including Atmos ®, Data Domain ®, EMC Isilon ®, NetWorker ® and VNX ®.
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) has today announced that it is providing 2.8 petabytes of storage to help the Vatican Apostolic Library digitize its entire catalogue of historic manuscripts and incunabula (a book or pamphlet printed before 1501). One of the oldest libraries in the world, the Vatican Apostolic Library holds many of the rarest and most valuable documents in existence including the 42 line Latin Bible of Gutenberg, the first book printed with movable type and dating between 1451 and 1455. EMC is supporting the Vatican Library's goal of preserving in an ISO-certifiable digital format delicate texts vulnerable to deterioration and decay from repeated handling, ensuring that the accumulated knowledge of generations is freely available for future study.Additional manuscripts being digitized include:
- The Sifra, a Hebrew manuscript written between the end of the 9 th Century and the middle of the 10 th, one of the oldest extant Hebrew codes;
- Greek testimonies of the works of Homer, Sophocles, Plato and Hippocrates;
- The famous incunabulum of Pius II's De Europa, printed by Albrecht Kunne in Memmingen in around 1491;
- The Code-B, one of the oldest extant manuscripts of the Greek Bible, dated to the 4 th Century.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV