Anti-Lukashenko Cartoon Campaign Continues Amid Pressure On Belarus
NEW YORK, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A cartoon campaign against Alexander Lukashenko, the last dictator of Europe, launched by "Belarusians in Exile", a pro-democratic non-for-profit, continues to draw attention of the media and general public to the human rights catastrophe that takes place in Belarus.
In the new cartoon, available for free under Creative Commons license, the mustachioed dictator rather nonchalantly consumes giant bags of cash arriving from Germany, Lithuania and other countries. Ilya Lushnikov, communications director for BiE says: "The cartoon is factually accurate. Despite existing EU and US sanctions against Belarus, the Lukashenko regime sells oil, potash and other products to Europe and receives most of its revenues from the EU. The money is directed to finance the state and its activities to oppress democracy. We and other Belarusian organizations call on the EU to expand sanctions against Lukashenko and ban the state companies from selling to the EU clients."
Alexander Lukashenko has been elected president of Belarus in 1994 and since then he managed to dismantle all democratic institutions in the country, and the people are deprived of basic rights, such as free press, right to vote and right for political protests.
"We are happy to see that pressure on Lukashenko to accept changes has recently increased. But without expanded sanctions, the regime will continue to abuse power. It is our goal to bring attention to this issue in Europe and the US and work with the governments and other pro-democratic organizations to use political and economic tools to develop democratic institutions in the country and fight for release and rehabilitation of political prisoners," says Lushnikov.The anti-Lukashenko cartoon series is available for free for bloggers and media alike from the BiE site, belarusiansinexile.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV