- Real estate is an inefficient market. Looking at national, regional or even local trends can only tell you a very limited amount about what any individual property is worth. Each property has unique characteristics that make it difficult to compare to other properties. That brings a level of subjectivity to pricing real estate that benefits knowledgeable and experienced investors -- and therefore works against people without that knowledge or experience.
- Liquidity can be unreliable. Forget about the instant liquidity of a savings account -- individual real estate properties aren't even as liquid as publicly traded investments such as stocks and bonds. Private markets can grind to a halt at times, meaning it can take months or even years to get out of some real estate investments.
- Cash flow can work both ways. So you want to invest in some property to generate cash flow from rentals. Just be advised that in real estate, cash flow works both ways: While there may be income from rentals, there are also taxes and maintenance costs to be paid. You need to compare rental levels and occupancy rates with the ongoing costs of the property to get a sense of what the net cash flow will be.
- REITs offer some diversification, but also management risk. REITs invest in groups of properties, and thus provide some benefits of diversification that you won't get by investing in an individual property. Remember, though, that depending on how narrowly based the REIT's investment scope is -- it may be based on a very specific region or type of property -- the diversification benefit may be limited. Also, you will be depending on the expertise of the people managing the REIT to make good decisions.
- Today's mortgage rates represent a form of risk. You've probably heard that low mortgage rates are helping to support the real estate market. The problem is that current mortgage rates are unusually low, so what happens to the real estate market when rates return to more normal levels? A sudden lift to mortgage rates could change things quickly.
5 Things To Know Before Investing In Real Estate
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.