LOS ANGELES, March 6, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 1st Century Bancshares, Inc. (the "Company") (Nasdaq:FCTY), the holding company for 1st Century Bank, N.A. (the "Bank"), today reported net income for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2012 of $912,000 and $2.9 million, respectively, compared to $432,000 and $1.0 million, respectively, for the same periods last year. Pre-tax, pre-provision earnings for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2012 were $963,000 and $3.1 million, respectively, compared to $503,000 and $1.4 million, respectively, for the same periods last year.
Pre-tax, pre-provision earnings, a non-GAAP financial measure, is presented because management believes adjusting the Company's results to exclude taxes and loan loss provisions provides stockholders with a useful metric for evaluating the core profitability of the Company. A schedule reconciling our GAAP net income to pre-tax, pre-provision earnings is provided in the table below.
Alan I. Rothenberg, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of the Company stated, "I'm pleased to announce our financial results for this year. Net income for the current year increased to $2.9 million and exceeded the prior year results by over 187%. We've also experienced robust growth in our balance sheet primarily resulting from a 25% increase in our deposit balances compared to the previous year. At the end of this year, total assets were $499 million, which is the largest reported asset size in our Company's history. In addition, I'm further encouraged by the decline in our non-performing assets, which have declined to $1.9 million compared to $7.6 million at the end of last year. Our non-performing assets are at the lowest level since 2008, when the economic recession started. Highlights for the year end include:
- Growth in total assets from $405 million at December 31, 2011 to $499 million at December 31, 2012;
- Growth in total deposits from $332 million at December 31, 2011 to $417 million at December 31, 2012, while reducing our cost of deposits from 27 basis points during the prior year to 17 basis points during the current year;
- Continued improvement in our credit quality, with non-performing assets being reduced to $1.9 million at December 31, 2012, compared to $7.6 million at December 31, 2011;
- Growth in total investments from $130 million at December 31, 2011 to $181 million at December 31, 2012;
- Improved net interest income of $14.1 million for the year ended December 31, 2012, respectively, compared to $11.3 million for the same period last year, despite a decrease in our net interest margin; and
- Improved diluted earnings per share, increasing to $0.33 per share for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared to $0.11 per share during the same period last year."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts