The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has named DIRECTV as a 2013 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for its outstanding contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by manufacturing energy-efficient products and for educating consumers about energy efficiency. DIRECTV’s accomplishments will be recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. on March 26.
Since becoming an ENERGY STAR partner in 2009, DIRECTV has made significant contributions to energy efficiency, including:
- More than 40 million receivers, representing more than 95 percent of all DIRECTV receivers purchased since joining the ENERGY STAR program, are ENERGY STAR-qualified.
- Deployed more than 10 million ENERGY STAR-qualified receivers in 2012 alone, which will result in an estimated electricity savings of more than 900 million kilowatt hours each year.
- Delivery of energy savings to millions of set top boxes already in homes by enabling them to automatically go into an energy saving lower power mode when not in use.
- Helping educate millions of Americans about energy efficiency and the ENERGY STAR program through a variety of marketing tactics.
- Launching the innovative Genie™ whole-home HD DVR system, which utilizes a server and thin clients to offer customers substantial energy savings relative to whole-home HD DVR installations introduced only a few years prior.
- Implementing the RVU remote user interface technology ( www.rvualliance.org), which drives down energy consumption even further by enabling a receiver-less connection to compatible RVU client devices including many available Smart TV models.
“Environmental stewardship continues to be an important aspect of our business and the actions we all take to conserve energy and reduce waste have an immediate impact," said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and CTO of DIRECTV. "When they see the ENERGY STAR mark on their DIRECTV receivers, our customers recognize that they are saving energy and money while continuing to enjoy their high-quality, feature rich DIRECTV service.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts