CHANDLER, Ariz., March 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General Motors is hiring 1,000 high-tech employees to staff an Information Technology Innovation Center in this Phoenix suburb, joining Austin, Texas; Roswell, Ga., and Warren, Mich., as the centerpieces of GM's strategy to bring high-value IT work in house in support of the business transformation underway.
GM expects to hire more than 4,000 new information technology workers over the next three to five years to staff the four centers. So far, more than 1,000 employees have been hired for the three locations previously announced.
"Recruiting talented IT professionals is intensely competitive," said GM Chief Information Officer Randy Mott. "To hire the best and the brightest, we need to create employment opportunities that differentiate our company from the competition – location is one such advantage."GM chose the innovation center locations by looking at IT talent-rich areas that also offer a strong community, lower cost of living and a high-tech industry presence. "Operating four IT Innovation centers geographically dispersed across the U.S. allows us to offer employment opportunities to hundreds of thousands of IT professionals, over 75 percent located within a 500-mile radius of any one of the centers," Mott said. Four of five students majoring in IT at higher education institutions in each state are within a three-hour drive from a GM IT innovation center. Combined, the four centers have access to more than 7,000 students at more than 150 colleges and universities majoring in information technology-related fields. GM will target recruitment efforts at up to a dozen key universities within each of the four geographic regions. The Innovation Centers support all aspects of GM's business. The talent-based hubs of excellence accelerate the development and implementation of innovative IT solutions for existing and future business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV