Reflecting desires of wealthy individuals to focus more explicitly on meeting specific life goals, Northern Trust has introduced a purposeful, proprietary approach to goals-based investing. This method, which represents an evolution in the way assets are managed to achieve clients’ goals, aims to align specific assets to stated objectives.
Traditionally, investment advisors evaluate a client’s risk tolerance and time horizon and map them to an asset allocation model. While Northern Trust continues to provide these services, our approach focuses first on a thorough review of client goals, such as buying a second home or setting up a charitable foundation. Then we develop a distinct mix of investments appropriate for reaching each goal.
“We’re focused on helping our clients achieve their goals in life,” said Jana Schreuder, Northern Trust’s President of Wealth Management. “We tailor a client’s investment program by matching assets with goals. This allows our clients to better understand how their investment strategies and wealth relate to their future needs and aspirations.”
- 81 percent of high net-worth individuals (with investable assets of $5 million or more) say that financial planning should encompass life goals, yet only 11 percent have established a financial plan as a step toward achieving their goals.
- High-net-worth couples are nearly twice as likely to discuss vacation plans than to talk about financial goals.
- Most high-net-worth investors are willing to sacrifice potential return if doing so increases the certainty of funding their goals.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts