Color Your Easter With Eggs
PARK RIDGE, Ill., March 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Nearly 200 million eggs are purchased for Easter celebrations in the U.S. every year. Whether young or young at heart, hard-boiling eggs and then decorating them is a favorite family pastime that brings out the creative side in everyone. According to a recent American Egg Board survey, nearly two-thirds (61 percent) of respondents say their families decorate one to two dozen eggs each year. i
"Eggs are like a blank canvas – the decorating possibilities are endless, and you don't have to stick to a standard store-bought kit," says Sabrina Soto, HGTV interior designer. "In addition to dyeing eggs in beautiful colors, dress them up with items already sitting in your kitchen or closet like scraps of ribbon, buttons, glitter or even confetti."
Here are a few more tips from Soto to get the egg decorating creativity hopping:
- Perfect Polka: Use the eraser end of a pencil to paint perfect polka dots on the egg. Just dip the eraser into acrylic craft paint and dab onto the egg. Make different patterns and use different colors to create perfect designs.
- Tattoo Decor: Kids always have those temporary tattoos lying around their rooms! Why not make egg decorating simple? Apply those same tattoos to eggs for a professional and easy look that kids will love.
- Ribbon Wrap: Tie a beautiful ribbon around a dyed egg. Mix colors and patterns for fun visual interest. Adorn with craft or fabric flowers, even buttons. For a more rustic look, use natural fibers such as hemp or twine with dried flowers in place of the ribbons.
Before Decorating, You Have to Hard-Boil"After interior design, cooking is my second passion," says Soto. "It always surprises me that while many people love to decorate eggs, they don't know how to hard-boil eggs properly."In fact, less than one-quarter (23 percent) of survey respondents know the correct way to hard-boil eggs. ii What many don't know is the key to hard-boiling eggs is not to boil them. Eggs that are cooked too long or at too high of a temperature become tough and rubbery, causing them to have unattractive green rings around the yolks. Follow these steps for bright yellow yolks and tender whites every time:
- Step 1: Put eggs in pan, add water, cover, bring to boil
- Step 2: Turn off heat, let stand for 12 minutes
- Step 3: Run cold water over eggs to cool and get ready to decorate
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts