NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One thing that Jim Cramer always harps on to RealMoney readers and viewers of his "Mad Money" show is the importance of doing extensive homework before investing in any stock. Nowhere has this been more important than in the energy sector in 2013.
With the Dow reaching all-time highs and with energy being one of the strongest sectors in that rally, you'd think that any investment in energy would be a winner, but that's very far from the truth.
If you've picked right inside the energy sector, you've seen tremendous upside already in the new year. If you've picked wrong, however, you're seeing stocks slide to some of the worst prices they've had in years.
Have a look at the video above that I shot with Jim. It differentiates the good from the bad and stress the necessity of doing some very intense homework before picking stocks and buying them.Follow @dan_dicker This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV