By contrast, Bove says JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Citigroup (C) management appeared to show little interest in discussing how they were improving their businesses, when they spoke on Tuesday. "They're interested in ROTCE and they're interested in the difference between ROTCE and ROA and ROE and what are you going to do about deferred tax assets--DTAs. This is not running a business. This is playing accounting games. Stocks don't go up because people can play accounting games. They go up because the company sells more widgets at higher prices, and there was none of that in the JPMorgan thing. There was virtually none of that in the Citigroup thing. Nobody seems to see this industry as one which has potential to grow because it has attractive products that are going to be sold at increasing rates over long periods of time, which by the way it is. Money is not going to go out of style."
Despite his unhappiness with JPMorgan and Citigroup's presentations Tuesday, Bove continues to recommend both stocks. He argues Citigroup is cheap in terms of valuation, even though he is "not impressed by the business plan at this moment." He also sees JPMorgan growing due to competitive advantages, though he believes management needs to do a better job of shifting questions "from accounting discussions to more important aspects of the business."
Another company that impressed Bove on Tuesday was SunTrust (STI).
"The big argument against owning bank stocks is that assets and capital are overstated, but what SunTrust showed is everything is [actually] understated. Every time SunTrust sells a distressed asset it sells it at a profit," he said.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV