Poland Lowers Key Interest Rate To 3.25 Percent
WARSAW, Poland (AP) â¿¿ The National Bank of Poland lowered its key interest rate by half a percentage point to a record low of 3.25 percent on Wednesday, a surprise move given that many economists had predicted a cut of a quarter point and others expected no cut at all.
In explaining its move, the central bank noted that economic data for the fourth quarter of 2012 showed a "marked economic slowdown" and that continued low growth is expected in the early part of this year. The problems it cited include weakening consumer demand, a decline in investments, rising unemployment and subdued lending to households and corporations.
The economy is forecast to expand by 1.2 percent this year, according to the European Commission â¿¿ the lowest rate of growth since 2001.
Overall, the economy has grown fast since Poland threw off communism 23 years ago and built a market economy. Joining the European Union in 2004 only added to momentum, and the country hasn't been in recession in 21 years.Still, it has not been immune to the financial crisis in Europe. The Polish central bank faced some criticism last year for moving slowly on interest rate cuts despite decelerating growth. But it has made monthly rate cuts since November, helped in part by a drop in inflation to 1.7 percent, below the official target of 2.5 percent. Some economists said they were perplexed by the size of the cut. "This has surprised us a lot, but we believe it is certainly the right thing for the Polish economy, which is likely to be helped by today's move," Danske Bank said in a note. The central bank said it expects an improvement in economic activity in the coming quarters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV