- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning during power outages:
- Do not use generators, camp stoves or similar items to power your home as they can release carbon monoxide – an odorless, colorless gas that builds up in closed spaces and is poisonous to breathe.
- Leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1 if your carbon monoxide detector sounds. Get medical help right away if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are dizzy, light headed or nauseous.
- Keep as warm as possible if your power is out:
- Hypothermia is a serious condition that happens when your body temperature is too low. Those most at risk include older Pennsylvanians and babies sleeping in cold rooms. If your power is out for a long time, stay with a relative or friend or go to a shelter.
- Prevent snow removal injuries:
- Dress appropriately.
- When possible, push snow instead of lifting it. If you must lift, bend your legs and not your back.
- Avoid twisting motions that can stress your back.
- If you experience chest pain, shortness of breath or other symptoms of a heart attack, seek immediate medical care or call 9-1-1.
- If using a snowblower, read and follow all safety instructions.
Major Winter Storm Prompts Department Of Health To Provide Important Safety Tips For Pennsylvanians
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.