Unless, that is, it creates new markets, or finds a way to deliver a value price with a premium margin.
Apple rumors involve three new products:
An Apple TV, as CNET writes, a big screen with its iOS operating system acting as a set-top box compatible with other Apple devices and the iTunes store. Thus, you could program the evening's viewing from your iPhone at work and buy shows a la carte instead of taking cable. It would also make a sweet game machine. Figure most of us pay $3-4/day for cable and maybe we can all cut that cord.
An Apple watch, which Bloomberg is reporting on. Apple has 79 patent applications using the word "wrist," a 10% share of the global industry would be a cool $6 billion, and margins on watches run as high as 60%.
A cheaper iPhone, which, according to the International Business Times, would be aimed at China and Brazil, with features like fingerprint sensors for security and a push at the prepaid market.
Any one of these products could, with a little hype, move the stock. Apple product rumors are a mini-industry all their own. What if all these rumors should come true? Speculation arising from a press conference like that could easily make this a $500 stock within a week.
So you have a rock-solid stock with speculative potential, available at a PE ratio similar to that of Intel. I call that a solid investment -- unless you already have a full plate of Apple shares like I do, and got in at around $560 right before the rest of the market began to boom.At the time of publication the author had a position in AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV