NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- "U.S. bank capital strength is high and improving," which should bode well for investors following the latest round of Federal Reserve stress tests, according to Credit Suisse analyst Moshe Orenbuch.
The Federal Reserve will release the results of its 2013 stress tests on the largest 19 U.S. bank holding companies on Thursday. On March 14, the regulatory will release the results of the 2013 Comprehensive Analysis and Review (CCAR), which applies the stress tests to the large banks' 2013 capital plans.
On March 14, the Fed will also announce the results of the 2013 Capital Plan Review (CapPR) for banks with total assets of over $50 billion, which are not included in the CCAR.
The stress tests gauge banks' ability to withstand a particularly nasty recession beginning this year, while remaining well-capitalized with Tier 1 common equity ratios of at least 5.0%. This year's "severely adverse scenario" includes a 4% jump in the unemployment rate during 2013, along with 5% negative GDP growth, a 50% decline in equity prices and a 20% decline in real estate prices.Investors can expect plenty of headlines and analysis over the next week tied to the stress tests and capital plans, but the most important date is March 14, when most of the big banking names are expected to announce dividend increases and/or new share buyback authorizations. "Our analysis indicates that all of the 17
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV