Brown-Forman Corporation (NYSE:BFA) (NYSE:BFB) today reported financial results for its third quarter and the first nine months of fiscal 2013 ended January 31, 2013. Reported net sales increased 7% in the quarter 1 to $1,027 million (+8% on an underlying basis 2). Reported net sales growth was negatively impacted by the absence of Hopland-based wines, offset by favorable foreign exchange. Reported operating income increased 15% in the quarter to $237 million (+14% on an underlying basis). Diluted earnings per share in the quarter increased 18% to $0.73 compared to $0.62 in the prior year period.
For the first nine months of the year, reported net sales increased 4% (+8% on an underlying basis), reported operating income increased 13% (+13% on an underlying basis), and diluted earnings per share increased 18% to $2.22 compared to $1.89 in the prior year period.
Paul Varga, the company’s chief executive officer said, “We continue to be pleased with our top-tier results in this well-performing industry. Our third quarter and year-to-date results reflect the excellent geographic breadth of our company, as well as improved portfolio and volume/margin balance. Given the momentum we observe today for the North American whiskey category, emerging markets, and premium-priced spirits generally, we believe Brown-Forman is positioned well for continued strong growth."
Year-to-Date 2013 Highlights
Underlying net sales increased 8%, driven by broad-based geographic
gains and brand strength, with constant currency net sales
- Price/mix contributed three points to net sales growth
- Jack Daniel’s family of brands grew net sales 10%
- The company’s super and ultra-premium whiskey brands grew net sales 19%
- El Jimador’s family of brands grew net sales 7%
- Finlandia’s family of brands grew net sales 5%
- Underlying operating income increased 13%, driven by strong top-line growth, gross margin expansion, and operating expense leverage
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV